New Player Guide v. 0.0.2.0

Finalroge

New Player Guide v. 0.0.2.0

Post by Finalroge » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:40 pm

*This is a work in progress and will be updated frequently until it reaches a good point.
*I welcome suggestions for information to be added as well as corrections to anything I provide.
*This game is in Alpha and has frequent updates.
*Press F1 in game to see a list of helpful advice, like controls :)

So, you registered your account and made it past the login screen....now what?
You basically have two options right now because story as well as tutorial mode are not yet ready for you. So you can join a game someone else is hosting, or you can host your own game.
*Hosting your own game can be a private affair by adding a password, I myself don't know how to properly host so people get an error message when trying to join one of my games.
*You can select Order or Chaos or PvP when hosting, this basically determines what content and characters you have access to. Currently we are at a unique point where Order has more content to play, so I suggest picking them.
If this is your first time creating a new character, before allocating points and starting the game I suggest going through each stat and subtracting 1 point, then reading the tooltip that comes up in the top right. Then build to your choice.
*You start off with loads of race/class options but you unlock more by playing the game. Sometimes you even unlock a class for another faction :)
*When selecting a God/Alignment so far this is permanent and keep in mind certain gear is for certain alignments and different gods grant different choices for abilities at level up.
When you spawn into the game world, a sparkly transport thing should be somewhere nearby. This allows travel to other maps by walking up to it and pressing 'E'.
Look around the town a bit, and find the Bank/Store to purchase your first piece of gear. I recommend getting either a Crossbow or Sword and waiting on getting armor, you've only got 2000gold to start and it goes fast.
This is what the store looks like, you basically click then drag items to your inventory and drop em in. Then drag and drop to equip as well. The small icon next to your weapon (When using melee) allows you to grip a 1 handed weapon with both hands, but takes away that left hook of yours :). The shop is random, and will have different items each time you reenter an area.
Hit 'C' to open up your character sheet. I recommend pumping your points into either Melee(Close Combat) or Balastics(Ranged) Putting leftover into dodge could be useful if you plan on being a dodge based character. Otherwise you want to wait for the Shield talent for additional parry.
Now you are going to want to level up your talents by pressing the 'N' key. Just click the skills you wish to raise, but either Balistics or Melee I recommend the Accuracy talent right off the bat.
You may have passed this NPC on the way to the store, press E to open up their menu (that you can scroll down by moving the bar to the right of the menu[not pictured]) You are ready for the Brawlers Cup!
On the left you can access your storage via the crates and on the right you can access a shop via the stall. You can also exit back to Town or the Farm by pressing 'E' by the small door on the fence.
When you kill an enemy, they sometimes drop gold or loot...ontop of granting you some experience.
*See the red bars on the side of the screen? When you attack they go down, then slowly back up. You can hold down a mouse button and swing for harder hits and those bars represent the strength you have available to put behind those hits. Raising Melee raises this.
This is what a lootbag looks like when it drops, it can be hard to gather these in the arena type matches because once you kill everything you are taken out for winning the match and any remaining gold/loot disappears. So loot fast and don't let an enemy get behind you!
*Just drag and drop into your inventory. Early on you are going to want to slap any found armor on to cover your body in armor so hits deal less damage to you, and you are less likely to receive an injury.

When you level up, press F2 for your chance to learn some new abilities!
A screen full of options will pop up, and you need to roll the dice before you can pick one. ((The RNG can be annoying sometimes, but it can also be amazing)
After getting your dice roll it limits you to options at or below the roll value.
*Certain 'God' abilities raise your worship level when you obtain them. Giving you more 'God' rank options the next time you level up.

When you learn an active skill you can put it into your skillbar by clicking the slot you want it in, then clicking the skill. (Currently I have an issue where I need to click it multiple times because my character would rather punch air)
*To use a skill, just press the proper key for where you put it.

Death can really suck. You have a chance of dropping items, staying dead, or getting a permanent injury(though you don't need to die to get permanently injured)
Injuries can stack up and end up crippling your character.(literally)
My demon race character is so beat up, he can't jump anymore(which you do with the spacebar) and he walks with a limp. you can view your injuries by pressing 'C', under the ability tab. You can get permanent injuries healed by a Monk(Order) or Shaman(Chaos) however it costs the healer a permanent reduction in wisdom and will grant you a scar, making injury more likely.

Winning a set of arena matches gives a gold reward depending on which one. Currently after a win you are stuck doing round 2 forever until you leave and reenter the arena so you can keep winning for that gold bonus.

Entering the Farm area lets you take on a defense type mission. Press escape and select the Quests button(when hosting) to select which defense mode you prefer. You basically defend either a human(Order) or a Goblin(Chaos) from waves of enemies.
*Ranged characters can skillfully jump ontop of that stall for a safe sniping point in early levels.

I'm sure I could add more but right now this feels like a good enough chunk to get people familiar. Some time soon Ill talk about progression into certain build paths and abilities to keep an eye out for.
Since Alpha ver. 0.0.1.7
viewtopic.php?f=22&p=379#p379 - My lvl 39 Shaman Build
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=113 - New Player Guide v. 0.0.2.0
Survived the bot invasion of 2017

Omnipotent

Re: New Player Guide v. 0.0.2.0

Post by Omnipotent » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:06 am

Excellent guide Final! I may steal some snippets and things as I try to create an official Getting Started page for the website.

Fredrik and I have been talking about making one of these and agree we really need one. But both of us have been busy with other things. :lol:

The Talents page is going to get an overhaul shortly for example. ;)