Arcane: Or how this tree needs to be completely reworked because it turns the game into a joke

The arcane arts of the wizards and mages.
allnewbagels

Arcane: Or how this tree needs to be completely reworked because it turns the game into a joke

Post by allnewbagels » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:52 pm

At this point if I don't get Arcane by level 5-7 I'll just reroll because of how good it is. I don't think it's too farfetched to say that the tree is 100% mandatory because of what it lets you do.

Things that are broken -
1. Flight. This is the coolest spell in the entire game but even as a melee character it's way too good. It lets you move in every direction at the same movement speed so even if you're not up in the air I'd rather be flying than walking/running. If you're a ranged character I would assume flight just makes you invincible. The channel time on it is too short if you get the -50% channel time talent so I can routinely blink out of a fight and recast flight to escape any dangerous situation.
2. Mana Shield is too strong with high mana regen. If it's on I 100% cannot be killed. The duration should be way shorter and the channel time should be way shorter so it can actually get casted in a fight.
3. Swap. I will now illustrate why Swap is broken.
Reducing the range wont fix this because I can just find a way to move the Goblin within range before I swap with him. You need to make it so that you can't ever swap with the Goblin or make it so that the Goblin will always throw himself off the top of buildings when he gets put up there.

Omnipotent

Re: Arcane: Or how this tree needs to be completely reworked because it turns the game into a joke

Post by Omnipotent » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Wow, you just made me regret never picking the ability on my characters. :D

Good things to note, thanks for the suggestions. Flight shouldn't be so responsive. You should be drifting around a bit and have a momentum that takes a second to slow down and stop before moving in other directions. Move speed should also be affected. Starting slow, and building up as you move in a direction.

I agree that Mana shield should not be 100% as well. Maybe something like 80%-85% reduction in damage would be better. So you can't just tank hits non stop, you still take some damage.

And yeah, we definitely need to be able to "protect" some npc's from abilities like swap.

The Mighty Tachikoma

Re: Arcane: Or how this tree needs to be completely reworked because it turns the game into a joke

Post by The Mighty Tachikoma » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:32 pm

Well now I figured out how the hell you're beating those hard modes so easily :P

Omnipotent

Post by Omnipotent » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:45 pm

The Mighty Tachikoma wrote:Well now I figured out how the hell you're beating those hard modes so easily :P
I've never used Arcane though. You're the one who's using it not me.

I really hope you're not using that swap trick to just exploit winning solo. xD

allnewbagels

Post by allnewbagels » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Omnipotent wrote:
The Mighty Tachikoma wrote:Well now I figured out how the hell you're beating those hard modes so easily :P
I've never used Arcane though. You're the one who's using it not me.

I really hope you're not using that swap trick to just exploit winning solo. xD
I used the swap trick to beat hard mode solo (i'm pretty sure round 3 is impossible solo) but rounds 1 and 2 I was soloing before I even started leveling arcane. They're really easy. My leveling method is just rounds 1 + 2 hard mode and then reset. Before that it was three repeats of Round 4 on normal and then make a new character to kill the goblin 3 times on Round 5 to reset to 4 without having to play Rounds 1-3.

Finalroge

Post by Finalroge » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:09 pm

+1 to Goblin recognizing hes on a building, freaking out, and jumping off.

And yeah I can make it to round 3 hard mode solo as well so it needs a buff :), though farming them is a definite upgrade from farming 'original' it seems like we need larger pack sizes (5-10 monsters at a time coming in, from multiple sides) in order to force cooperative play. Right now reaching lvl 30 seems pretty doable. Though I'm sure progression past 20 isn't really a concern right now....would be interesting to see the weapon masteries have 50 ranks instead of 20. That might be overkill? I haven't played melee enough to know how well Parry/Dodge works *rambling*
Since Alpha ver. 0.0.1.7
viewtopic.php?f=22&p=379#p379 - My lvl 39 Shaman Build
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=113 - New Player Guide v. 0.0.2.0
Survived the bot invasion of 2017

The Mighty Tachikoma

Post by The Mighty Tachikoma » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:54 pm

allnewbagels wrote:
I used the swap trick to beat hard mode solo (i'm pretty sure round 3 is impossible solo) but rounds 1 and 2 I was soloing before I even started leveling arcane. They're really easy. My leveling method is just rounds 1 + 2 hard mode and then reset. Before that it was three repeats of Round 4 on normal and then make a new character to kill the goblin 3 times on Round 5 to reset to 4 without having to play Rounds 1-3.

Fixed the issue ;P

It seems he fixed the goblin swap trick though. If you try to swap him now he reverts back to his original place.

allnewbagels

Post by allnewbagels » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:18 pm

The Mighty Tachikoma wrote:
allnewbagels wrote:

Fixed the issue ;P

It seems he fixed the goblin swap trick though. If you try to swap him now he reverts back to his original place.
Still works for me as of this pitch.

The Mighty Tachikoma

Post by The Mighty Tachikoma » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:45 pm

Really? He keeps popping back to his spawn for me.

allnewbagels

Post by allnewbagels » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:47 pm

The Mighty Tachikoma wrote:Really? He keeps popping back to his spawn for me.
Might be that characters that could do it pre-patch can still do it. I'll test with a new character if I can ever pick up Arcane again.