My Shaman Build

Share your gameplay experiences! Videos, images, characters, etc.
Finalroge

My Shaman Build

Post by Finalroge » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:26 pm

So I originally made this character to test out the Shaman Magic skillset as well as be a throwaway permanent injury healer until I lacked the wisdom to cast the healing spell. Everything changed when I found this staff.
Image + Image + Image
The staff alone isn't that useful, but if you combine it with Totem Attack Speed Mastery (a Shaman passive) and Dual Wield (a Melee passive) it gives your totems some amazing speed. 1 Staff is significant, but 2 staffs is what makes it powerful!
Now lets talk about what skills I use out of Melee, Shaman Magic, and Arcane Magic.

I was lucky to get an Arcane Magic dice roll early on, because the utility of Fly is just amazing. Broken leg? Who cares. I can fly! Force Push gives me a little bit more control over my enemies when protecting Mr. Gobbo, it provides enough of a stun to allow my totems to aim better.
I should mention if enemies get too close to Mr. Gobbo I throw down a healing totem, or use Telekenesis, sometimes both depending on how things go. My totems often end up killing Mr. Gobbo if I let enemies get too close to him.

Skills like Mass Lightning and Arcane Missile are great for stunning enemies, damaging armored units, and giving my totems more time to find the sweet spot that is actually hitting something hahaha.

Clear Mind is a great buff, intelligence boosts all magic schools as well as the experience earned. Then taunt is also used to help me keep things away from Mr. Gobbo.

This pretty much sums it up, oh yeah Mana Aura lvl 7 hahah- I'm never low on mana, even if I spam everything as often as possible.

*Some things I noticed playing.
At the end of each wave you get Character lvl x 30 experience. (This is with 22int, haven't paid attention to if INT augments wave exp)As of patch 0.0.1.9 wave exp is no longer granted.

Round 4 Hard seems to give less experience(by ai kills) than all other rounds, however it is much harder due to armored units.
Having many points invested into a magic school doesn't seem to augment the damage the skills deal all that much.
Shaman Magic skills that need a rework: The acid toss, insect swarm, and the one that causes damage when the enemy moves.
The acid skill is hard to use, and Ive never tried actually killing something with it. Maybe I'm underestimating it though, so I will test more later. if it deals good damage it could prove useful. The one that damages when the enemy moves has a long cooldown and is difficult to aim, and I didn't see the damage ticks so I'm not sure how strong it is. Insect swarm needs an AI rework I feel, but the stun it provides is useful. However it likes to wander into nowhere and attack allies.
Any questions/comments?
Last edited by Finalroge on Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Since Alpha ver. 0.0.1.7
viewtopic.php?f=22&p=379#p379 - My lvl 39 Shaman Build
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=113 - New Player Guide v. 0.0.2.0
Survived the bot invasion of 2017

allnewbagels

Re: My Shaman Build

Post by allnewbagels » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:33 pm

Interested to know what the DPS on your totems is like. What kind of damage do they hit for, what do they crit for, etc.

Finalroge

Post by Finalroge » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:35 pm

Arrow Totems are what I stick to, because they do the most hits, allowing for stun and more hits.
They deal 0, 5, and 10 damage as far as I can tell. On treants they deal 2 damage. Fire totem deals a bit more damage, but the AoE is risky and the totem itself has a much longer cooldown and slower attackspeed.
To clarify, I mostly do 5 damage per hit on Arrow Totems.
Since Alpha ver. 0.0.1.7

allnewbagels

Post by allnewbagels » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:39 pm

How many totems do you have up at a time? How many times do they attack in like five second window? Can you AFK on any rounds or do you need to be attentive at all times?

Finalroge

Post by Finalroge » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:46 pm

Ive been wanting to talk about the rounds for some time. Excited for the new patch making hard mode harder.

In Goblin Defense Original on Chaos((Everythings on Chaos, just assume for me here ahaha))
Round 1 all the way up until the last round, I can setup my totems and pretty much just watch them kill everything. The last round with the black armored units I rarely can deal damage to with the totems, I almost always deal 0 damage and have never been able to defeat that round. Maybe once I did? But ive found it wasn't worth the effort.

In Goblin Defense Hard mode....
Round 1-2
If I move fast I can setup my first few totems, buff myself, then shoot off some lightning and arcane missile as I wait for totem cooldown. Once I get to 8 totems its pretty safe and I can pretty much just watch them mow down enemies.
Round 3-4
in come the armored units. I have to remain active in these rounds focusing the armored guys with my spells otherwise they walk right through my totems(until I have 10+ of them setup)
Round 5-6
Enemies have surprisingly less armor so I can stun them easier with arrow totem hits, 8 totems usually feels safe. Unless a treant spawns close then I need 12+ as well as throwing spells to keep those damn beasts back.
Since Alpha ver. 0.0.1.7

allnewbagels

Post by allnewbagels » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Very nice. Seems like the best soloing build by far. Melee has too much trouble with ranged one shotting the goblin on rounds 3 and 5.

Finalroge

Post by Finalroge » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:50 pm

Oh I forgot to talk about ranged. I have that issue as well. When ranged units spawn, I have to go out in the field more and place more totems specifically for them usually. Because the first totems I place are ASAP to deal with melee incoming.

Melee is fun to play, but has lots of trouble dealing with multiple waves at once. I hope they get more 'Dash', 'Charge', 'Rush', 'Leap', abilities...gap closers that don't sap too much stamina.

I seriously would love a shield specific talent tree and dual wielding shields hahaha. So much fun shield wacking enemies.
Then again, once we can do campaigns that aren't wave based it wont be as important(gap closing, and totem setups as well). Excited for quests that aren't guarding a point :)
Since Alpha ver. 0.0.1.7

allnewbagels

Post by allnewbagels » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:57 pm

I actually find that melee has the easiest time handling multiple waves at once if you build correctly. Most of the time you can just auto-attack everything to death before they can even hit your Gobbo. The only thing that gives me trouble is multiple archers spawning at once on Round 5 and the mages on Round 3 because they're just stupid.

Finalroge

Post by Finalroge » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Yeah my highest melee is only lvl 8 haha, once I can have an environment to play with stealth ((non-wave based)) I'll think more about playing melee. But for point defense ranged is just superior.
Since Alpha ver. 0.0.1.7

Omnipotent

Post by Omnipotent » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Very nice write-up and a lot up information here. I really wish I knew more about the Shamans but I have never had the class drop. I feel like I must be doing something wrong because it's not like I haven't played Skaven at all. I had 5 warriors in no time, but never found a shaman, lol.

Anyone know the trick?

allnewbagels wrote:I actually find that melee has the easiest time handling multiple waves at once if you build correctly. Most of the time you can just auto-attack everything to death before they can even hit your Gobbo. The only thing that gives me trouble is multiple archers spawning at once on Round 5 and the mages on Round 3 because they're just stupid.

I'd say this is debatable. But I do find melee more enjoyable in many aspects. You have a lot of health and can deal a lot of damage. In PvP it has been reliable for me as well, even in the lower levels.

With Cleave and Fight In Ranks it becomes a lot easier. But without it, melee co-op is not fun solo. You end up accidentally killing your goblin all the time, and then he stabs you in the back on accident. :P
Last edited by Omnipotent on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.